Sunday, March 16, 2008

Answers and Such...

Pop Quiz Question #1:
Those indeed are solar panels. Apparently in the 1970's people got tax credits for using solar energy to heat their homes. So, for the last 30-40 years, this house has been ugly for the sake of saving energy. And wouldn't you know it, my hippy parents think I should keep these solar panels "Just think of the energy savings" and "well, do you think they could be brought to my house"... If anyone wants solar panels, all you need to do is come pick them up. Presuming I own the place that is...

#2:
That stuff is asbestos :( which is baaaadddd. Some places say asbestos is ok when it is not disturbed, but this stuff is clearly falling apart. Apparently asbestos in basements is a problem in these parts but I must deal with this stuff immediately. My contractor estimates $10-12k for the removal of the pipes. I am asking the bank for the $$. They have warned me that the walls likely also contain asbestos which will be a problem during the remodel and could cost an additional $10-12k for removal.

#3:
That my friends is art! I have 2 more toilets that are coming out soon so I will have seats for guests!!

Still no word on whether the bank will give me credit for the asbestos, a new furnace (the existing one is from 1960!), and a new sewer line. Yeah, the sewer line is completely trashed and estimated at $11,800 to repair. Anyone know a good plumber??

On a funner note, I was going through my camera and found a video I took almost 2 months ago. We were at my sister's house and she has a beagle puppy that is about 2 weeks older than Maggie - her name is Chloe. Aren't they cute??


No comments: